In Week 3 of Mad Men we saw Don Draper make a quick escape from Roger Sterling’s Derby Day party and head for the bar. After a stylish jump across the bar we watched as Don made an ‘Old Fashioned’ for himself and his new friend Connie. (is this Conrad Hilton?)
At Madtini.com we could not let this go unnoticed, and so for Week 4 of the Online Cocktail Party we’re making up a couple of Old Fashioneds.
The Old Fashioned is arguably the first Cocktail, and was created around 1900 by Colonel James E. Pepper, a bourbon distiller based in Kentucky, and the bartender at the Pendennis Club in Louisville. It was once known as the “palate-paralyzer’ and Cole Porter even wrote a song in its honour, ‘Make It Another Old Fashioned.
- Bourbon (1 2/3 oz)
- Angostura bitters (dash)
- Sugar Cube (1)
- Club Soda
- Place sugar cube in old-fashioned glass and soak with Angostura
- Add a dash of soda and crush the sugar cube with the back of a bar spoon
- Add the bourbon, then top with soda and stir
- Garnish with a slice or orange and a maraschino cherry
- Add a twist of lemon and drink